On October 22, will be held in digital format "Chasing COVID", a virtual Workshop of the BioRegion projects on COVID, organized by Biocat in collaboration with the Directorate General for Research and Innovation, Department of Health (DGRIS) and the Directorate General for Research (DGR), Department of Business and Knowledge, Government of Catalonia; “la Caixa" Foundation and EIT Health.
During the event there will be 5-minute presentations of the ecosystem projects, where they will explain the excellence, methodology and impact of the different projects.
At the end of the session, the public will vote online for the best "Beautiful Science" and "Game Changer" projects (not pitches), awarded with €1000 each.
- “Beautiful science”: project that shows a new, innovative, smart or well-designed mechanism of action, methodology or technology, though it might be still far form reaching the patient.
- “Game changer”: key mechanism or technology that can represent a major inflection point in the field as we know it. It might not be that far from reaching the patient.
15:00 – 15:05h Welcome - Jordi Naval, Biocat
15:05 – 15:40h Session 1: Repurposing
Chair: Anna Meseguer, Directorate General for Research and Innovation, Department of Health (DGRIS)
- Maria Buzon, Vall d´Hebron Research Institute (VHIR) - Identification of repurposing therapeutics inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 entry in human lung explants
- Baldomero Oliva, Pompeu Fabra University - Tackling SARS-CoV -2 with repurposing drug combinations
- Josep Quer, Vall d´Hebron Research Institute VHIR-HUVH - Whole genome SARS-CoV-2 sequencing in COVID-19 mild and severe patients to identify virulence and prognostic factors
- Joaquim Segalés, IRTA-CRESA - Animal models for the study of SARS-CoV-2
- Alejandro Peralta García, Institut Hospital del Mar d'Investigacions Mèdiques (IMIM)- Dual strategy for inhibiting the infectious cycle of SARS-CoV 2
15:40 – 16:15h Session 2: New therapies
Chair: Ignasi López Verdeguer, “la Caixa” Foundation
- Laia Fernandez-Barat, Institut d'Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer (IDIBAPS) - Identification of epitopes and isolation of IgG anti-COVID-19 to produce monoclonal antibodies for treatment
- Giuliana Magri, Fundacio IMIM - Engineering Neutralizing Antibodies to SARS-CoV-2: New Hope for COVID-19 Treatment
- Rafael Mañez, Bellvitge University Hospital and Research Institute - ICoVRA: Elicitation of protective Immunity against SARS-CoV2 by selective Removal of non-neutralizing Antibodies used by the virus to enhance its infectivity
- Nuria Montserrat, Fundació Institut de Bioenginyeria de Catalunya - Engineering mini-organs to understand and target SARS-CoV-2 infection
- Juana Díez, Pompeu Fabra University - Enabling a fast response against viral outbreaks
16:15 – 16:20h Coffee break
16:20 – 16:55h Session 3: Vaccines
Chair: Montse Daban, Directorate General for Research (DGR), Department of Business and Knowledge
- Jorge Carrillo, IrsiCaixa - Early S2-targeting and rapid development of neutralizing antibodies after SARS-CoV-2 infection
- Cristina Fornaguera, Institut Quimic Sarria (IQS) & Ramon Llull University (URL) - CoviNanoVax: A mRNA vaccine based on polymeric nanoparticles to prevent Covid19 infection
- Julia G Prado, IrsiCaixa & IGTP - High-resolution of CoV-2-specific T cell immunity to drive broad coronavirus vaccine development
- Narcís Saubi, Vall d'Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR) - CoVHIR-Vac: A fusion inhibition vaccine design model for SARS-CoV-2
- Pere Joan Cardona, IGTP - RUTICOVID19 Clinical Trial
16:55 – 17:30h Session 4: Medtech & Population and genetic studies
Chair: Cristina Bescos, EIT Health Spain
- Jordi Alonso, Institut Hospital del Mar d'Investigacions Mèdiques (IMIM), UPF & CIBERESP - MIND COVID: Mental health Impact and NeeDs associated with COVID-19
- Giulio Rosati, Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) - How to print your own COVID-19 sensor for fast testing at the point of care
- Anna Rull Aixa, Institut d'Investigació Sanitària Pere Virgili (IISPV) - COVIDOMICS
- Maria Soler, Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2)- CONVAT: Combating COVID-19: Advanced Nanobiosensors For Global Poc Diagnostics And Surveillance
- Concepción Violán Fors, IDIAP Jordi Gol, IGTP - Population study: Identification of carrier status and SARS-CoV-2 immune response related to progression phenotype (ProHepiC19)
17:30 – 17:40h Unveiling awards winners - José Luis Cabero, Aelix, and Jordi Naval, Biocat
17:40 – 17:45h Closing remarks - Jordi Naval, Biocat