Skip to main content

The biopharmaceutical company GP Pharm, part of the Lipotec Group, has received a major financial push to proceed with eleven projects aimed at analyzing new therapies for cancer and for CNS and cardiovascular diseases, in work to be done at its laboratories in Catalonia. The company, headquartered in Gavà (Barcelona), has signed a syndicated loan for 20 million euros, of which 65% was provided by Institut Català de Finances (ICF) and the Instituto de Crédito Oficial (ICO), and the remaining 35%, from Caixa Catalunya, Banc de Sabadell, Bancaja, and the company’s shareholders. The deal represents one of the largest transactions in this sector for 2009. According to GP Pharm COO Albert Bueno, the work covered should become profitable by 2012.

A new laboratory for pharmaceuticals development

GP Pharm has also invested in a new, state-of-the-art analytical laboratory for characterizing drug-delivery systems, namely, liposomes and microspheres for delivering liquid or lyophilized compounds. The laboratory should accelerate the initial stages of drug development, during which analytical prowess is crucial. It will also feature validated analytical methods and testing of validation lots for drug development.



Sign up for our newsletters

Stay up-to-date on the latest news, events and trends in the BioRegion.