Biocat is a strategic stakeholder and catalyst for promoting, transforming and projecting the Catalan life sciences and health innovation ecosystem, known as the BioRegion of Catalonia. It was established in 2006 as a public-private foundation at the behest of the Government of Catalonia and the Barcelona City Council to identify the needs of the BioRegion and implement a strategy and action plan to maximize the economic and social impact of the sector.
Promote innovation capacity and project the ecosystem
The focal points that underpin Biocat’s strategy are:
- Accelerating technology transfer and business growth through activities that boost capacities in the sector, with special emphasis on value added for research, knowledge transfer, internationalization, access to capital and attracting investment.
- Projecting the ecosystem, establishing strategies and actions to improve awareness of the sector’s assets and potential, and boosting its reputation and visibility both nationally and internationally.
- Fostering the innovative capacities and development of entrepreneurial and research talent through programs to drive new innovative health projects, training and improving the skills of professionals, and preparing future leaders and business managers.
- Connecting stakeholders in the ecosystem with each other and international players to promote synergies and opportunities for growth, thanks to a deep understanding of the ecosystem’s assets and challenges and of the sector’s trends and strategies locally and globally.
Accelerate and promote the BioRegion
We identify the key challenges and needs of the ecosystem —innovation adoption, technology transfer, talent development, investment attraction, international positioning— and develop initiatives and support programs to have an economic and social impact.
We work to help entrepreneurial projects reach the market, investment and funding. We support their needs to drive the scale up of the ecosystem.
We offer training programs to help people make the most of their talent.
We promote Catalonia’s R&D capacities in the life sciences and health, both within the BioRegion and beyond.
We facilitate the transfer of research to market and help generate business opportunities.
They are the official source of data on the evolution of the health innovation ecosystem in Catalonia
Through our partnerships and connections, we position the BioRegion internationally and address global challenges.
Connect, accelerate, project
Vision, mission and values
Biocat aims to position the BioRegion of Catalonia among the leading ecosystems in Europe with a global impact.
To maximize the economic and social impact of the life sciences and health innovation ecosystem in Catalonia.
In carrying out its mission, Biocat is always guided by the following values:
Team and Trustees
- Board of Trustees
Marketing, Communications and Competitive Intelligence Department
Innovation and Business Development Department
Strategic Foresight and International Relations Department
Finance, Administration and Human Resources Department
- Mr. Pere Aragonès i Garcia, President of the Government of Catalonia
- Mr. Manel Balcells i Díaz, Catalan Minister of Health
- Mr. Ignasi Biosca i Reig, CataloniaBio & HealthTech, CEO of Reig Jofré
- Ms. Natàlia Mas i Guix, Catalan Minister of Economy and Finance
- Mr. Joaquim Nadal i Farreras, Catalan Minister of Research and Universities
- Mr. Roger Torrent i Ramió, Catalan Minister for Enterprise and Employment
- Mr. David Mascort i Subiranas, Catalan Minister of Climate Action, Food and the Rural Agenda
- Ms. Laia Bonet Rull, First Deputy Mayor, representative of the Barcelona City Council
- Mr. Antoni Esteve Cruella, representative of Farmaindustria, Director of Esteve Pharmaceuticals and President of AdSalutem
- Ms. Lídia Martín Pereda, representative of Farmaindustria, General Manager of Almirall
- Ms. Fina Lladós Canela, representative of Farmaindustria, CEO of Amgen
- Ms. Raquel Tapia Rodríguez, representative of Farmaindustria, General Manager of Sanofi-Aventis
- Mr. David Solanes López, representative of Farmaindustria, General Manager of Laboratorios ERN
- Mr. Joan Puig de Dou, representative of CataloniaBio & HealthTech, President of CataloniaBio & HealthTech, CEO of Kymos Pharma Services
- Ms. Mariona Serra Pagès, representative of CataloniaBio & HealthTech, Co-funder and CEO of GoodGut
- Mr. José Luís Fernández i Serrat, representative of Fenin Catalonia, General Manager of AB Medica Group
- Mr. Marc Pérez Pey, representative of Fenin Catalonia, President of Fenin Catalonia, Vice-president for Western Europe and Africa at HARTMANN Group
- Ms. Georgina Sorrosal de Luna, representative of the Barcelona Medical Association, Director of Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the Barcelona Medical Association
- Mr. Daniel Crespo Artiaga, representative of the Catalan Association of Public Universities, Rector of the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (UPC) (Foundations Registry entry underway)
- Mr. Francesc Posas Garriga, representative of the Catalan Association of Research Centers, Director of the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB)
- Mr. Josep M. Campistol i Plana, representative of research intensive hospitals in Catalonia, General Director of Hospital Clinic Barcelona
- Ms. Maria Terrades i Palomar, representative of the Network of Science and Technology Parks of Catalonia, CEO of Barcelona Science Park
Mr. Lluís García Pareras, partner at Invivo Capital
- Mr. Josep Ramon Arisa i Clusella, Coordinator of Legal Advisory at the Catalan Health Service
Biocat Report of Activities
The Biocat Report, published since 2006, sums up the progress of Biocat’s activity under its strategy to drive the life sciences and healthcare sector in Catalonia. Its pages include the main activities Biocat carried out over the year. These include impact indicators showing the vitality and concerns of the whole sector. In recent years, this has shown spectacular growth and international expansion, as the key figures for 2022 highlight.
Programs and activities organized by Biocat or that Biocat took part in
People attended the 2022 BioRegion Report presentation (in person and online)
Impacts in print, online, radio and TV media