BioRegion of Catalonia Report
The BioRegion of Catalonia Report, published by Biocat since 2009, has become the most solid and wide reaching analysis of the assets, achievements and trends in the life sciences and healthcare sector in Catalonia within an international framework.
Record funding and first megaround
The indicators in the 2022 BioRegion of Catalonia Report show that the sector is growing steadily and setting new records in funding for startups and scaleups, mergers and acquisitions, investors and international investment, as well as excellent indicators on clinical trials and scientific publications.
- Startups and scaleups in the BioRegion secured €445 million in investment, the most to date, mainly through venture capital.
- The first megaround in the history of the BioRegion, by dental health medtech firm Impress, with €122 million.
- Venture capital was once again the main source of funding — 95% with international participation, followed by competitive grants.
- In 2022, a total of 35 operations were closed, one fewer than the previous year but with a higher average investment per operation.
- Catalonia has become a priority destination in the world and Europe for conducting clinical trials, with over 1,200 active clinical trials.
- Pipeline: 58 therapies being developed in a wide variety of clinical areas (mainly oncology, neurology, infectious and minority diseases), some of which will soon be ready for commercialization and become available to the public.